Sunday, May 25, 2008

Nation study (2)

I have been doing a little internet research myself, because I realise that the children have such limited contact with computers during the average school week.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/geography/flags/ For those of you who don't know Enchanted Learning, I think it is a fantastic starting point. The information on flags of nations is good, but some nations are a little hit and miss. Also, there is some general information on certain nations, but this is even more hit and miss.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/ This site has lots of general information about many nations, but I find it poorly set out and difficult to read. What I do like about this site is the clear and concise way it deals with the features of flags, and puts many other sites to shame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/country_profiles/default.stm This site is run by the BBC, and has great general information, with clear headings for easy navigation. It also has a timeline of important events for each nation.

Children should, by now, have a reasonable store of information about the flags of their nations, as well as some maps. It is now time they started concentrating on important events from their nations history. These may be modern (USA - 911 terrorist attacks) or ancient (Egypt - pyramids), as long as they are important to the nation and their culture. The timelines available from BBC should help here, but it also may be useful to find national holidays, holy days for the nation concerned. These are almost always related to a special point in a nation's history.

The due date for this project is by the end of week 8 (20th June). I know that some children have little or nothing to show for the last 3 weeks work, so I hope that they will take this as a wake up call. I am trying to get around to those I see struggling, but so far very few have asked for any real help.

No comments: